The safety bet was designed to find regular small wins rather than the rare large wins (over 50/1) many losing football bettors chase on a daily basis. Although the safety bet did record two 80/1 winners in. Welcome to Bookmakers.bet, the ultimate guide for online bookmakers. Here you will find impartial bookmaker reviews and ratings for the safest sportsbooks, together with exclusive and low wagering betting bonuses. At BMB, we combine experience both as players and as industry professionals, with extensive and continuous research.
The sports betting industry is on a meteoric rise in this country and we’re approaching one of the first NFL seasons where it will be possible to legally wager on most games outside of Nevada. Even in a largely illegal market, the American Gaming Association estimated that bettors wagered over $4.3 billion on Super Bowl LV alone.
Safest Way To Bet On Football
With ample time between games and a wealth of strategy to consider, football is an understandably popular sport for mainstream bettors. Using analytics to gain an edge in predicting how games will unfold can help the savvy bettor go against the grain to earn big paydays. Conversely, the popularity of NFL betting can help bettors isolate a potential winner by piggybacking on research conducted by the masses.
This page can serve as a reference for residents of states that have legalized online betting. It will break down the basics of NFL betting, from various types of bets, to strategy, to tips on how to predict trends and think independently. If you heed this advice and weigh your options and bankroll carefully, you could turn a consistent profit throughout the 2020 NFL season.
NFL team betting guides
|AFC East||Buffalo Bills||Miami Dolphins||New England Patriots||New York Jets|
|AFC North||Baltimore Ravens||Cincinnati Bengals||Cleveland Browns||Pittsburgh Steelers|
|AFC South||Houston Texans||Indianapolis Colts||Jacksonville Jaguars||Tennessee Titans|
|AFC West||Denver Broncos||Kansas City Chiefs||Los Angeles Chargers||Las Vegas Raiders|
|NFC East||Dallas Cowboys||New York Giants||Philadelphia Eagles||Washington Football Team|
|NFC North||Chicago Bears||Detroit Lions||Minnesota Vikings||Green Bay Packers|
|NFC South||Atlanta Falcons||Carolina Panthers||New Orleans Saints||Tampa Bay Bucs|
|NFC West||Arizona Cardinals||Los Angeles Rams||San Francisco 49ers||Seattle Seahawks|
Where is NFL betting legal?
When the Supreme Court overturned PASPA in May of 2018, it opened the door for individual states to legalize sports gambling. Beginning with New Jersey (the original plaintiff in the PASPA case), several states quickly moved to legalize and regulate the industry within state lines. Betting on the NFL and other professional sports is still not federally legal, but residents of the following states can place bets at live sportsbooks:
Most other states in the US have introduced some sort of bill that would legalize sports gambling. Of course, some states are far closer than others to legalizing the industry. Visit our state betting pages at TheLines.com to get a look at the status in each state.
Best NFL betting sites and apps
There are a number of apps available for sports betting in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Iowa, Indiana, West Virginia and Nevada. Some of the best:
The top players in the industry are DraftKings Sportsbook, FanDuel Sportsbook, BetMGM, Caesars, PointsBet, and SugarHouse.
How does NFL betting work?
There are several ways to bet on NFL action. We’ll begin with the most simple type of bet: The moneyline. Taking the Moneyline means you’re betting on the winning team regardless of the margin of victory. Underdogs will get plus-odds on the moneyline and the favorites will have negative odds. For example, if a team is heavily favored they will be listed as Patriots (-230), meaning that a successful $230 bet on the Patriots pays out $100.
This differs from betting on the point spread, which accounts for the expected margin of victory. If the Patriots are heavily favored at home, they might be listed as -13.5, meaning a bet (likely at something close to -110 odds) on the Pats would only pay out if they win by 14 points or more.
Gamblers can also target the overall betting total of a game, which is usually listed as a number around 48.5 with the proposition of taking the Over or Under on a point total. Some sites offer the opportunity to bet on the expected point total of one team (23.5 points for example).
Safest Way To Bet On Football Pool
Then, there is often an extensive number of betting props (or propositions) where gamblers can wager on the individual performance of a player, the type of score to open a game, and the specific margin of victory. These options are often more expansive in prime time and playoff games.
Gamblers can choose to combine multiple propositions on a game, or multiple bets on different games, into a parlay. This wager is an all-or-nothing proposition which only pays out if all (anywhere between two and a dozen) bets are successful. The more bets added to a parlay, the greater the potential payout.
A teaser is a form of parlay that involves a combination of two to ten wagers in which you can adjust the point spread or total to your specifications. These bets are therefore more likely to succeed, but the payouts are smaller than in a parlay.
Finally, there is an option to bet on NFL futures. Rather than betting on an individual game, Futures offer gamblers the opportunity to bet on the eventual Super Bowl champion, divisional champion, or the number of wins that a team will accrue during the regular season. There are also futures bets available on postseason awards and other ongoing storylines.
Super Bowl odds 2022
NFL live betting
Another method of wagering on the NFL is live betting, also known as in-play betting. No longer are gamblers required to place their bets before opening kickoff and ride out the storm. Now users can watch a game unfold for one, two, or three quarters and place their bets based on updated odds.
The odds on online sportsbooks will shift throughout games and sometimes it won’t be possible to place a live bet until a team finishes their current drive and the odds can solidify. This can be a very effective method for the experienced sports fan. Those who can read how a game is unfolding in the opening minutes can target a line aggressively.
For example, the most recent Super Bowl between the Patriots and Rams turned into an offensive quagmire where neither team appeared poised to rack up many points. Those viewers that read into game flow and placed a bet on the Under (even as it shifted lower) were rewarded by a comfortable payout in a game that ended 13-3.
NFL betting trends
There are several free sites that will disclose information on where the public is betting in terms of the moneyline, point spread, and point total. These trends can lead to a shift in the lines as sportsbooks try to adjust when too much money is coming in on one side or the other.
These trends can also indicate which side of the line is a better bet based on the sheer number of bets coming in. However, the percentage of bets coming in on one side or the other is often not as telling as the percentage of money coming in on one side of the line.
A ton of bets indicates that the reactive public expects a favorite to roll, but a ton of money on one side indicates that experienced gamblers or “sharps” have found something in their research to inspire confidence.
Following the money usually profits, but there is a high level of risk and reward in “contrarian handicapping” by going against the public and backing an underdog at plus odds.
NFL line shopping
With so many sportsbooks and platforms competing for your wagers, there’s no reason not to shop around for the best deal. Some sites might have a team with a line of -4 (-110) on a particular game, but another site could have the same team at -3.5 (+120). There is generally an industry standard, but even a sleight differentiation can lead to huge changes in dividends in the long run. It’s vital for bettors to shop lines on multiple sites even if they don’t have a huge bankroll. If that’s the case, simply decrease the amount you’re betting on each game.
You can also shop lines by timing when you place your bets. Oddsmakers will set an Opening Line early in the week, but that could change based on how the public bets the game. Sometimes it makes sense to hammer an Opening Line right away so that you get the best odds possible. For example, the Packers could open at -7 at home against a poor opponent, but after 90% of bets come in on Green Bay, that number could rise. Conversely, the underdog might become appealing late in the week if the spread rises to 13 or even 14 points. Waiting for the right line can create the perfect opportunity to bet against the public at even better odds.
NFL Betting Tips
Finding a betting formula
Consistent success in NFL betting is hard to come by, since sportsbooks are often eerily accurate in how they set Spreads and Point Totals. In order to turn a profit, bettors have to find their own formula for determining value and potential winners.
It’s possible to “follow the masses” by betting on favorites that are seeing a huge percentage of wagers, but it is far more reliable to analyze trends and look for value based on those raw numbers.
As the season progresses, it can become apparent which teams have a tendency to “play down” to their opponent. Certain teams tend to play better when going up against heavy favorites, and many teams tend to play better or worse in prime time games. Analyzing a teams’ recent travel schedule, results on the road vs. at home, and tendency to rebound after a loss (see Bill Belichick’s Patriots) can help bettors find a winning formula.
There are certain analytics available for free on many sites that can help you predict how a game will unfold. Here are some of the key analytics that we use to predict game flow:
- Pace (the average number of plays a team runs per game) – This can primarily help you identify fast-paced games that are likely to go Over the total, or slow-paced games that will go Under.
- Offensive efficiency – Especially in the red zone, offensive efficiency can serve as a great indicator for which teams are capable of finishing drives with touchdowns and therefore covering the spread. Pass yards per attempt is another indicator of which teams are successful on offense in terms of controlling possession and creating points.
- Turnovers – On the other side of the ball, teams with great defensive efficiency in the red zone may help games stay under the point total. Teams that have shown an ability to create turnovers are far more bankable in terms of hanging close in games and potentially stealing a game when they’re underdogs.
- Win Probability – This is an advanced tool that can help tremendously with live betting. Algorithms can provide the likelihood of a team holding on for the win and that makes for a very safe bet.
- DVOA – There are comprehensive numbers on how defenses perform against specific position groups. There are also numbers on how an offensive line performs in terms of creating space at the second level and whether defensive lines are stronger on the right or left side. Match up the numbers from each team to consider whether star players will have more of an impact and sway the outcome.
- Home Field Advantage – Teams such as the Packers, Chiefs, Saints, and Patriots have a tremendous home-field advantage for several reasons. Lofty point spreads in those venues should be considered with more weight than a lofty point spread for a team like the Bengals, for example.
Each game brings its own criteria in terms of analytics and there is almost always ample time to crunch the numbers and find an edge.
Safest Way To Bet On Football Game
NFL betting mistakes to avoid
Sports gambling can be a destructive force and should not be taken lightly or considered as a main source of income for anyone but the most experienced handicappers. Here’s a list of a few of the pitfalls that can turn a harmless habit into a money-draining problem:
- Chasing your losses: Gamblers can be overcome by a need to be “made whole” after losing their initial bet. This can be problematic during NFL Sundays since there is a new wave of games starting at 4 p.m. EST and two prime time games providing the opportunity to go “double or nothing” after an unsuccessful run in the early games.
- Managing bankroll: Again, the spreads and totals assigned by sportsbooks are often extremely accurate in terms of the final result, which means that few bets are a “sure thing.” Gamblers need to manage their bankroll wisely and avoid betting big on too many games regardless of their confidence level.
- Emotional betting: While gambling on NFL games should be fun, it’s not fun to lose your money because you were afraid to bet against your hometown team. Gamblers should always bet based on data, trends, and their gut feeling, rather than by their allegiances as fans.
- Hoping for longshots: It’s important to get good odds on a wager, but taking a bet that has little chance to come to fruition is not a reliable method. A horse with 50/1 odds would certainly pay out handsomely in the Kentucky Derby, but there’s a reason nobody expects that horse to have a shot at winning the race.
- Banking on favorites: Conversely, it’s unwise to always follow the public and take the more popular team with your wagers. Things change on a weekly basis in the NFL and teams always find a way to surprise. Remember that the other guys get paid too, and they’ll fight to the final whistle to post a more respectable score and potentially get under a lofty point spread.
- Betting while impaired: Again, NFL Sunday is a time to relax and enjoy a few adult beverages, but don’t get carried away while intoxicated. Accept losses when they come and avoid becoming overconfident because you’re feeling loose and unafraid of losing a few hundred dollars.
Online betting vs. retail sportsbooks
Few states have legalized online betting within state borders because it’s so difficult to regulate. But if you’re in a state with legal online betting, there are clear benefits to that platform. While retail sportsbooks will only accept bets before a game kicks off, online betting sites allow users to bet throughout the contest and adjust to live odds. The convenience of betting from your phone or laptop is hard to beat. That’s why live sportsbooks will offer promotions and try to enhance the in-game experience in order to draw in more numbers.
How to watch NFL games
Every Sunday select NFL games are broadcast on local TV. Viewers can watch any game by purchasing the Sunday Ticket through DirectTV, or the scoring highlights and exciting finishes compiled by the Red Zone channel. There are also options to stream NFL games through various online platforms. During the 2019-2020 season there will be Thursday Night Football games from Week 1 to Week 15 that will be broadcast on FOX and NFL Network. Sunday Night Football games are broadcast on NBC and ESPN carries Monday Night Football games.
The easiest way to lose money all the time as a punter is to have no online sports betting strategy. One of the things that typically separates successful and professional punters apart from unsuccessful punters is the betting strategies employed. Successful punters recognize that one-size doesn’t fit all sports and games, and can tailor their approach to the game at hand. But above all, they have a personal conviction in these strategies, and do not make their move with every suggestion they come across. Before diving into the different betting strategies, let’s look at why betting strategies are super important.
© Adobe Stock/George Serban
Ignition poker bovada. Here is an overview of the most popular betting strategies. Click on the link to learn more about each one:
Why Betting Strategies are Important
1. Betting strategies are important for punters who have adopted sports betting as a business and are committed to long-term success. This means you’ll commit time to learn the betting strategies that exist and create a proper plan for your success. This is important, considering that sports betting can sometimes be unpredictable, thus the need to base all your strategies on value betting — identifying games where the odds presented are not representative of the likely outcome.
2. In the the long run, you’ll identify specific strategies that work best for you, fit into your budget, and match your risk appetite. You’ll have a model that makes betting simple and profitable for you. Having a unique betting strategy also sets you apart from other punters and increases the chances of you winning. This is because betting companies include popular online betting strategies into their models and try to mitigate them as much as possible. Like we mentioned above, sports betting is a business; even if your business isn’t exclusive, you must develop your unique selling point or value proposition.
How to develop your betting strategies
As we inferred above, it would make a whole lot of sense to tweak the many betting strategies available today. But how do you get started?
1. Research and patiently read about all existing betting strategies. Our website extensively covers many general betting strategies. This research will form the foundation of your strategy and plans.
2. Be observant of the betting market and the sports you want to bet on. For example, the introduction of VAR into football has probably increased the number of penalties in football. This can be a starting point for a particular strategy. Be on the lookout for trends that jump out. However, make sure that the trends are not just perceived but also backed by facts and hard data, where applicable.
3. Now that the idea is formed, the next step is to seek other variables that may influence the idea you’ve identified. For example, a smaller stadium might make it easier for teams to concede corners. A stadium with a bad pitch may not favour an attacking brand of football in a match.
4. After settling on a strategy, the next step is to test and tweak. You test your theory/strategy with very small stakes and monitor how well you do with the bets you placed. With every result, examine if there’s any way you can adjust the strategy to include variables you overlooked, or to remove variables that do not affect the outcome.
Here is an overview of the most popular betting strategies. Click on the link to learn more about each one. Let the articles inform your choices and form the bedrock of your betting strategies.
Back & Lay
The Back & Lay strategy is one of the most popular strategies in the market. While “back”-bets are the most common kind of sports bets where you bet ON a certain outcome of a game/event, “lay”-bet means you’re betting AGAINST the same outcome. What makes this strategy so interesting is that you can deal and sell with your bets on book-makers like Betfair. […] Read more
© Konfambet Double Chance options
The Double Chance bet is an online betting strategy that is particularly interesting for risk-averse bettors. In this case, you’re betting on the probability that one of two events will happen. As a result of betting on two outcomes of a game, your odds to win the bet is enhanced by 33%.[…] Read more
With this betting system, the risk is a little greater. In this scenario, you bet on both the half-time and full-time scores/result of a game. In our overview, we provide ideas on what this kind of bet looks like when it is won, and give you information about your chances of winning. Additionally, we show you the most suitable sports for this strategy. […] Read more
Handicap Bets are more applicable when you expect a favourite to win…and to win handsomely. You simply give the supposedly weaker team an advantage (handicap) and expect the favourite team to overcome the advantage. This way, you can get higher odds for teams who are expected to win 9.9 out of 10 games. […] Read more
The name gives this strategy away. You back one individual/team against another in a contest. This is most interesting when betting on individual sports, but you can also bet on two competitors in a team sport, and let them virtually step up against each other. […] Read more
Similar to real stock markets, you can hedge your bets against possible losses through selling and buying other bets. Betfair is the most common book-maker that offers possibilities to hedge your bet. If you want to learn how it works and get a short introduction and good examples, follow the link and learn more about this betting strategy. […] Read more
The goal of Multi-bets is to gain high combined odds by adding multiple single bets (called “legs”) to one bet. You should keep in mind that with this betting strategy, your risk of losing the bet increases with each added leg. Multi-bets or Multiples are most interesting with football bets but you can make a good profit out of other sports as well. […] Read more
In this article, we describe the attractive strategy of Last-Minute bets. Over the last few years, this strategy has become increasingly popular, especially with games that are being watched and where live bets are available. The further a game advances, the higher the odds of no goal to be scored gets. In this instance, you can bet against the current standings and you can earn some good profits. […] Read more
Lucky 15 bet
As an advancement of the Yankee Bet, the Lucky 15 Bet includes, obviously, 15 bets. These 15 bets comprise of 4 single bets, 6 two-leg multi, 4 three-leg multi, and 1 four-leg multi. How this strategy works and how big your chances of winning are, are shown in this article.[…] Read more
© Betwinner Over/Under options
This nice and simple betting strategy is easily explained. You have to figure out if the score/points during a game was higher or lower than the expected score. Although it initially only included betting on the number of goals scored during a football match, you are now able to bet on almost everything that is countable. That is why this strategy is not only available for football bets but also other sports like basketball, tennis or every other game.[…] Read more
In both the scorecast and the wincast you have to bet on a player to score a goal. The only difference between those two strategies is that, in addition to predicting the scorer of a scorecast bet, you have to guess the exact result of the game; while for a wincast bet it is enough to predict the winning team. In both cases, you need a little luck to win but also a good knowledge of the competing teams.[…] Read more
Surebets or arbitration are bets that will bring winnings through combinations of specific single bets placed on different bookmakers. To successfully make money with sure bets you have to find the most lucrative quotas from different bookmakers and calculate if these bets are indeed sure bets. […] Read more
System or Yankee bets are most interesting when you want to play risky bets. It is similar to multi-bets in the sense that they both require multiple selections. However, the difference is that with system bets you can still win money, even if one from your selection loses. For multi-bets, that is not the case. […] Read more
If we have caught your attention for sports betting strategies and everything that deals with it, we recommend you our Livetipsportal bet calculator app, where you can calculate your odds easily on your smartphone.